I need new mittens. My Bayerische mitts (finished Jan '07) are taking a beating when I shovel, or ski, so I need something else to preserve those gorgeous cables for as long as I can.
I want a simple pair of mittens that are not too bulky and not too complex, but not something I've already done to death. I always make several pairs of worsted weight mitts for the kids every winter and didn't really feel like making the same-old-same-old in fingering weight for me. Inspired (as I'm sure others have been too) by the concept of the sideways scarf, I decided to try sideways mittens just for the challenge. I'm sure there must be a pattern out there somewhere, but I didn't bother looking. You can see my sketches and calculations beneath a good start of the first mitten. I'm using some Paton's Kroy sock yarn that I found in my stash and should be enough for a pair. I plan to pick up the stitches at the wrist and do the ribbing in the round. I may have to use a coordinating color if I run out of the burgundy..
And! my hyacinth's are sprouting beautifully. Except for one... he may be a dud. Seeing the gorgeous hyacinth's on Yarnstorm, I had to have some of my own. I love the reflections from the container on my coffee table!