... so I plied the singles last night. Twice. I decided it would go more quickly if I plied the singles on my wheel. I can't make lace weight singles on my wheel, but I can ply them on it! I wasn't really paying attention to how much twist I was adding and also found it tough to decide how much plying twist to add with the wheel since I'd spun them on a spindle. Turns out I had totally underplied the yarn. So I wound it into a ball and ran it through the wheel again to add some more. This time the yarn looked much more balanced. After a little "soak and thwack" and some drying it was ready to knit with this morning!.
I have 2oz of light fingering weight/lace weight yarn about 300 yds..
And I've decided not to knit "Inconceivable". I finished the first 16 rows and decided while I love the idea of this wrap and all it's versatility, it just isn't me. So I decided to knit something I know I love. A few years ago I knit the Rectangle Cover Shawl from Knitpicks for my SIL and I loved it (I don't think it's available for download anymore). I've decided to use my handspun for a slightly smaller version for me.
So far 30 rows. This will be frogged however - one of the hazards of jumping into a project without much forethought. I just checked how much of the lovely colored batts I have left and am beginning to suspect I may run out before the shawl is as long as I would like. What I should have done, was spun one ounce of singles with the colorful stuff blended in and one ounce of the corrie without the color and plied them together. Not really knowing how to unply something, and guessing that would be quite an undertaking, I think I'll spin up 2oz of the corrie and knit from the two balls, alternating rows. I'll still have to spin up more of the color-blended and more plain to finish the wrap... but I'm game!