Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What would you wear to a Parent-Teacher Interview?

A few weeks ago, Tamika, also known as Meekers Squeekers, Miss Meeky and Puppypants decided it would be fun to see the world. Well, not the whole world but more than just her corner of it. She broke off of her tie-out 3 times in one week and although I've been working on improving my fitness, I'm still not quite up to a 30 minute run around town to tire her out enough to catch her. So I decided to wait until she came home. I did go for several drives around town to see if I could spot her anywhere, especially when I could hear the dog chorus start up in various locations.


The first night, she came back around the time G and I went to bed. So we welcomed her home, gave her her nighttime cookies and thought this was an isolated incident. A few days later she was off again. And didn't come home that night. After dropping two sad kids off to school the next morning I spotted her running down our lane away from the house, so I called her and she was happy to be home.

The third time, after driving around town several times and calling her to see if she'd like a cookie I gave up again and went to bed. I hope this isn't too much info when I tell you I sleep in a comfy t-shirt. Around 2am I could hear Tamika barking her deep, low, what-are-you-doing-in-my-yard bark so I went to the back door to let her in.

I didn't turn on the porch light since I don't own a bathrobe and didn't dress for the obvious reason that I wasn't expecting to be "in public" when I let the dog in at the back door at 2am.

So I open the back door, stepped out onto the porch to grab the little runaway by the collar and as my eyes adjusted to the dark noticed my kids' teacher standing in the back yard.

"O, Hello, Ms. Teacher," said I, as though this was the most natural thing in the world to be having a conversation in my t-shirt and undies in the middle of the night, at the back door, with my crazy dog and the science teacher.

"Hi Mrs. W, I was out looking for my dog, heard barking and found yours"

"O, thank you so much for bringing her home"

We continued chatting briefly. I wished her luck finding her dog and went inside wondering if it would have been better for me to leave the dog on the porch when I first noticed her, tear back inside, find clothes, and rush back out in hopes that my naughty dog hadn't bolted again.

Can you understand why I needed to wait a few weeks to share this story? Now, I'm able to look back and laugh. Sort of.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, don't be too embarrassed. I wouldn't expect you to be fully dressed in the middle of the night

Portsmouth Heights Waterproofing said...

Heello mate great blog post