Thursday, April 9, 2009

Don't be fooled by the softness

Bob is done! I knew it wouldn't take long to finished 4 little legs. They have less than sixty stitches per leg. But now I know why I didn't finish this little guy before. The yarn was a very poor choice for a toy. B fell in love with it's softness, but it was not easy to work with for this project.
.
.
Note how there are two strands: one evenly chenille-like (the white one) and the other with little slubby bits of chenille. The slubby strand changes color throughout the ball and gives little pops of pinkness as you progress. This I like. But the slubby bits also make the sewing up very difficult. Each little slub catches on the stitches you're trying to pull the tail through, making for some really big frustration, especially at the tight gauge I like to knit toys at.
.
.
I will probably make more Bobs - I'm pleased with how he turned out, I'll just choose my yarn more wisely next time.
.
.
Project Specs
Pattern: Bob designed by Anna Hrachovec
Pattern Source: Mochimochi blog, click on Free Patterns button
Yarn: Red Heart Buttercup, Color: White Coral Multi
Needles: 4mm dpns
Date Started: July 08
Date Finished: April 8/09
Finished Size: About 7" long x 5" wide
Other Supplies: 12 mm safety eyes, polyfil
.

1 comment:

Grace said...

Bob looks great! I can just imagine what it would be like seaming with that yarn... I feel your pain!