Wednesday, April 8, 2009

More Hibernating Projects

B took this cute picture of Mia this weekend. I'm not sure why she decided to curl up in the sink, but she fits rather well and reminds me of a picture my BIL took of B about twelve years ago!
.
.
Today's hibernating project is my Hemlock Ring Blanket from the summer of 2007. I love it, but ran out of yarn for the bind off and the yarn store nearby had closed.
.
.
I should have just waited (and as it turns out waited and waited and waited) to find more yarn or just ordered some online somewhere, but instead, because I was in love and wanted my new blanket NOW, I continued. Full of denial, I willed myself to have enough yarn, even tightened up my knitting on the bind off to squeeze every last inch out of the quickly diminishing ball. And I got the results I wanted. I managed to bind off the blanket. However, I also got the results I was too deeply in denial to expect. The bindoff is nice and loose for about one quarter of the edge and then tightens up increasingly to the end. The result: A bind off that is too tight compared with the rest of the blanket. Something I'd reasoned with myself would "be ok when I block it". It's not.
.
Since that time (I shoved the blanket far into a corner of my closet as it reminded me of my failings) a new yarn store opened nearby and carried the same yarn in the same colorway. Not the same dyelot, but my eyes can't tell the difference. And no, that's not more denial talking. Me and my Hemlock Ring have had enough time apart to give me objectivity and perspective. I will frog the bind off, and reknit it. Soon...
.
... as soon as Bob has 3 more legs. I finished one yesterday.
.

No comments: