Thursday, May 28, 2009

BFL experiments

I got a wonderful BFL sample in my May Phat Fiber Box. I've never spun BFL before and was quite excited to give it a try. But all my bobbins are full and I won't get to plying for some time. Then I remembered - I have a spindle! I've just not used it much since I love the speed of a wheel.
.
1/4 oz BFL braid from Sheepshape Spinning (at the top - the bottom braid is another from my phat box)
.
I decided to try carding the roving a bit to even out the colors. The sample is so soft and smooshy and lovely that I could easily have spun right from the braid with just a bit of predrafting, but my personal preference is for yarns with less contrast. I whipped out my handcards and couldn't believe how easy this was to card. This is the first time I've carded anything other than the pound of dirty brown wool that came with my second hand wheel. That required many washings and many passes with the handcards to make it spinnable - so my muscle memory was expecting to work hard!
.
Lovely BFL fluff & spindle - the fluff shows more color variation in person
.
Having a lovely little pile of fluff sitting on the coffee table makes it almost impossible to do the laundry, vacuuming, dusting, cooking, cleaning...
.
I think I like BFL. It's nice and grabby and I was able to make a 45 - 50 wpi single without much effort. Took only a couple hours to spin up the 1/4 oz of fiber. I had forgotten how much I love my spindle! It never fails to fascinate me how different the volume from fluff to finished singles is. I decided to make a 4 ply, but have no idea what I'll make with this lovely little sample.
.
1/4 oz sample yielded about 18 yds fingering weight (18 wpi)
.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

Love your sample! What about making a tiny sock with it? Maybe for a key chain or the beginning of a sock Xmas garland. This is my plan for all smaller samples of the Phat Fiber Box. Susanne