Monday, June 28, 2010

Learning something new

A few weeks ago, I came across this tutorial about making your own backstrap loom. Since weaving has alway fascinated me, I knew that this would be something I'd love to try. Last week, I ran out to the hardware store and bought $7 worth of dowels. I spent a bit of time in hubby's garage sawing and sanding things to the appropriate sizes. I also fashioned a beater and shuttle out of some thin plywood.




And this is was I made! Isn't that just about the most amazing piece of weaving you've ever seen!

I have since wound the warp for a bigger project. The tutorial suggests making a backstrap for your loom, but I'm finding the adjustable strap from one of my bags to be working very well. I've decided to make a bag to stash my loom bars in instead.
The tutorial also suggests that when you make your warp to ensure things are very well clamped down. I thought I had clamped enough, but when I checked after finishing, things had moved about 1cm. I'm not sure if this is going to be a problem. I'm hoping not - I don't really want to take it all apart and start over. So I'm going to go with it and hope for the best.

1 comment:

Julie said...

wow, that's so amazing! It's always fun to learn new crafts, isn't it.